Opera maintains the program's tradition of striving for the fastest, smallest, and most full-featured browser available. Opera covers the basics with tabbed browsing, mouse-over previews, a customizable search bar, advanced bookmarking tools, and simple integration with e-mail and chat clients. Mouse-gesture support, keyboard shortcuts, and drag-and-drop functionality round out the essentials.
Opera's extras push it to among the top of the class. Integrated theme support previews themes from within the interface, and the new version sports a look that's an attractive balance between "dark" and "light" themes. Opera's desktop widgets can appear anywhere while Opera is running. The Password Manager utility (previously known as the Wand) combines auto fill with saved passwords, and it's hard to ignore the addition of torrent support and real-time fraud protection. Opera also includes reasonable antimalware protection courtesy of Haute Secure. There are other features that should make any nonbeliever do a double take. Opera Link enables Bookmarks, the Personal bar, Speed Dial, and Notes synchronization across all other Opera instances. Quick Find has improved the search tool, allowing for full text searching from the address field, the history panel, and opera:history search. We're also fans of the new inline spell checker that supports 51 languages. Opera 10 expands on these features with Opera Turbo, a compression engine that Opera claims can compress data up to 80 percent before squeezing it through Opera's servers. The optional Turbo mode is intended to help computers with slow data connections perform faster. There's also the new tab bar: double-click or pull down on the bar below the tabs and above the location bar and you get thumbnail previews of each tab. It has also finally received an auto updater and integrated crash reporting. Opera undoubtedly has what it takes to unseat even the biggest-name browsers. You just need to hear it sing.
- Make Web pages load more quickly—block images, pop-ups, and plug-ins, as you wish.
- Perform movements with your mouse to navigate the Web with Opera's mouse gestures.
E-mail and feed integration:
- Use the built-in mail client and online feed reader as your default clients.
Reopen closed tabs:
- If you accidentally close a tab, you can retrieve it from the Closed Tabs button.
- Store usernames and passwords, so they will be at your fingertips.
- Save your open tabs, or start with the pages you had open when Opera was last closed.
Inline spell checker:
- Spell-check quickly as you type, with support for 48 languages.
- Debug in a cross-device, cross-platform environment with the Opera Dragonfly tools.
- Access, organize and search all of your e-mail with the fastest mail client available.
- Search the full text from any Web site you visit, right from your address bar.
- Choose from hundreds of skins, add or remove buttons, toolbars, or change the entire layout.
- Preview a feed in a clean, multiple-column layout before subscribing to it.
And many more
- View a complete list of Opera features here